I’m always looking for more affordable ways to decorate. This year for Eleanor’s 1st birthday party we went with a rainbow theme. I wanted pastel rainbow with lots of cute desserts. We’re having tie-dye cupcakes, a smash cake, macarons, and other rainbow themed treats. For all the desserts I wanted pretty ways to display them, not just a tuperware container on the table. So, to make it more affordable, I made a few of my own!
What you’ll need:
- Plates of varying sizes depending on number of tiers needed.
- Candle Stands, again depending on numbers of tiers.
- Crystal Clear Gorilla Glue, used for Glass
I found my plates and candle holders at Hobby Lobby. The candle holders are 2 different heights. They were 50% off. The plates were in the home decor clearance isle and were 90% percent off! Each plate was under $2! Gorilla glue I found at Walmart.
Here is the general idea. You can use the same size candle holders or different sizes like I did. As you can see, you stack the plates and candle holders to create a stand. I put the larger candle holder in the center so I could have more room between plates. I put the shorter candle holder on the bottom so It wasn’t as top heavy.
- First I glued the tall candle holder to the bottom of the top plate.
- Next, I glued the shorter candle holder to the bottom of the bottom plate.
- Allow to dry overnight and make sure to leave them somewhere they won’t be moved. Since the Candle holders are so heavy I didn’t have to clamp them or place heavy things on them to set the glue. If you use lighter products consider doing that.
4. Last I glued the two pieces together, allow to set overnight as well!
Not the best photo, but I will post more from the party with some desserts on it! Total cost for two dessert stands was under $30 and under 1 hour to assemble! (minus dry time) These stands are heavy, really cute, and sturdy.
The stands were perfect for her party!