I’ve made many versions of enchiladas in my time. This recipe is THE quickest and easiest. Doesn’t hurt that they are under 300 calories per enchilada, 285 to be exact.
Here is what you’ll need:
- Flour Tortillas 10-12, I use the Low Carb
- Red or Green Enchilada Sauce, Large Can 28 oz, I use Old El Paso
- Refried Beans, 1 Cup, I use the Vegetarian Old El Paso Brand
- 1 Can Cream of Chicken, 10.5 oz
- 1 Small Can Diced Green Chilies
- Shredded Cheese (your choice) I used this Taco Bell 7 Layer Blend
- 1 pkg Ground Chicken
- Seasoning for Meat. You can use taco seasoning, Cumin/salt/pepper/ or use this Chili Lime blend I found at Walmart. Gives it a little sweet kick.
- Glass baking dish and large skillet.
Instructions, as clear as my brain can make them 😉
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Brown the Chicken, and season to taste whatever you choose.
- Once cooked, add in the can of green chilies, can of cream chicken, and 1/4 cup of the Enchilada sauce. Stir and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a microwave safe bowl heat 1 cup refried beans for 30 seconds. They need to be just warm enough to spread easily. Not hot.
- On each tortilla, spread a spoon full of refried beans, add meat filling, and sprinkle with cheese. Roll tortilla and place in glass baking dish. Repeat until dish is full. This will make 10-12 enchiladas depending on how much you fill them. Here’s a little enchilada rolling tip from a nonprofessional…to help keep your enchiladas from unrolling, add a little refried beans to the ends to help seal them together.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce all over enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 350.
They are easy to make, easy to make your own way, and not too high on the calories.