After a 1 lb loss at my last weigh in on 2/28 I knew I needed to change up my diet and gym routine to push through my plateau. Any time that I’ve had weight to lose I plateau around month 3 which is usually the time I start heavy lifting. I drop a large amount quick as soon as I start cardio and any activity, but once the weights are added it slows dramatically.
How I break through it?
More protein, less fat, and better timed meals. I’m NOT a doctor and I’m definitely not a ‘health’ coach but this is what works for me.
- Breakfast at 8:30/9:00 am. I wake up at 6:30, chug some water & take my medications, but I delay breakfast 2 hours. I’ll explain that more.
- By 11:00 am I have my protein & collagen shake.
- Around 1:00 pm I have a protein packed lunch. I also get some veggies and a lower sugar fruit. Berries are great!
- Around 6:00, a high protein, almost no carb dinner. I don’t limit carbs, I just avoid things like bread and pasta. I allow carbs in other foods.
- Gym time from 6:30-7:45/8 pm.
- Stay active throughout the day. Get up as often as possible!
- Again not a doctor, but I ‘fast’ from 5:00 pm- 9:00 am. This works for ME. Do your research and try it out. See what works for you.
Here are some meal examples.
Breakfast: Belgian Waffle (220 cal) Skip the syrup, Raspberries packed full of fiber and tons of GOOD stuff. Extra Creamy Whipped Topping 15 Calories.
Lunch: Prepped salads with Spinach, Tomato, Red Onion, Carrot, and Celery. I top these with chicken, tuna, or cheese. Vinaigrettes are perfect to top it off, especially raspberry or strawberry flavors.
Dinner: Salmon, Golden Potatoes with sliced onions baked, and a pile of strawberries.
My shakes contain ISO Whey Protein Powder Chocolate flavor, Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides, Powdered Peanut Butter, and 2% Milk. You can sub almond milk or any other milk sub and you’ll still get a great chocolate peanut butter taste. Dare I say Reese’s?!
Vital Proteins actually has a referral program right now! If you’d like to give it a try Click Here. Helps me get $10 off and then you can get a link to send to a friend as well!
So my first personal goal was to lose 30 lbs by March 31st. Well…I did it! And plenty of time ahead of schedule. I gave myself a REALISTIC goal, and I achieved it. Next goal is 50 lbs by end of May.
Starting Weight 12/31/19 272 lbs
Current Weight 3/7/20 241.8 lbs